- Wear a mask when open sterile supplies and equipment are present.
- Don a fresh, clean surgical mask before performing or assisting with each new procedure.
- Cover the mouth and nose with the mask and tie it securely.
- Do not wear the mask hanging down from the neck.
- Replace and discard the mask whenever it becomes wet or soiled, or has been taken down.
- Remove the mask by handling only the mask ties and perform hand hygiene after removing the mask.
- Clean reusable protection devices worn with surgical masks, (eg, goggles, personal glasses supplemented with solid side shields) according to the manufacturer's instructions for use before and after performing or assisting with each new procedure.
AORN Guidelines for Surgical Attire 2015
A fresh surgical mask should be donned before the health care worker performs or assist with each new procedure. The mask should be replaced and discarded whenever it becomes wet or soiled or has been taken down…..
Surgical masks should not be worn hanging around the neck.The filter portion of a surgical mask harbors bacteria collected from the nasopharyngeal airway. The contaminated mask may cross contaminate the scrub attire top or jacket when it is hanging around the neck.